The Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums – Call for Nominations for the 2018 Katherine Coffey Award
The Katherine Coffey Award is given each year by the Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums to an individual in the Mid-Atlantic region to recognize distinguished achievement in the museum field. The Coffey Award ceremony is held annually at the MAAM Annual Meeting and is one of the pinnacle events of the conference.
Nominees can include working professionals and retired personnel.
- Have worked as a paid museum professional for at least 10 years in a principal position.
- Be/have been employed in the Mid-Atlantic region during the period of principal contribution for which the award is being given.
- Demonstrate accomplishment in their role and a record of service to the profession on state, regional, national, and/or international levels.
- Have a proven record of service to the community in which the museum is located.
You will need to submit a cover letter, your contact information, and 3 letters of support that attest to the individual’s service in the museum and the community.
* You may also email all items (cover letter, contact information, and 3 letters of support) to email@example.com. The nominator is expected to assist in editing and reviewing a press release for the eventual award winner.
DEADLINE: August 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM EST.
About the Award: Awards for outstanding service are too seldom given by organizations of the museum profession. It is true that occasionally persons in the field receive certificates of merit, plaques and sometimes, although very rarely, honorary degrees. Therefore, it was somewhat unusual that the Board of Governors of the Northeast Museums Conference (now MAAM) in May, 1972 agreed that nominations from a broad area be solicited for recognition of distinctive and worthy projects within the museums field. It was also decided that occasionally, when opportunity offered, a professional museum staff member should be cited for outstanding service to museology. The award, set up by the Conference, took the name of the late Katherine Coffey (1900-1972). She was one of the outstanding museum leaders and administrators of the nation. A graduate of Barnard College in the class of 1922, she first joined the Newark Museum staff in 1923, left and returned in 1925 to remain on permanent basis until her retirement in 1968. (Reprinted from the Museologist, No.125)
Please visit the Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums for more information, a list of past award winners, and nomination forms.