Fort Augusta was Pennsylvania’s stronghold in the upper Susquehanna Valley, from the days of the French and Indian War to the close of the American Revolution. This site, now within the limits of the City of Sunbury, is an area which the Native Americans called “Shamokin.” First constructed as part of the British defense against the raids of the French and Indians from the upper Allegheny region, it was later used as an American fortress to aid in the protection of the settlers of the upper Susquehanna from the Indian allies of Britain.
In 1930 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the land on which the well and powder magazine are located and, in 1931, acquired the larger tract, which included the Hunter House. Together they form the Fort Augusta property, which is now owned by and used as the headquarters of the Northumberland County Historical Society, Inc.
The present Hunter House was completed in 1852 by the Colonel’s grandson, Captain Samuel Hunter. The museum at the Hunter House features a permanent exhibit of archaeological material recovered on the site during digs in 1937-1938, 1978-1979, and 1981. There are many items recovered from the Moravian Blacksmith Shop of 1743, Native American artifacts, as well as Fort Augusta. The exhibit also features a mural which depicts the construction of the fort, and items which represent fort life.